Wednesday, March 14, 2007

You Know Me.

I am the joy you felt when you made your first toy airplane, flew your first kite, swam your first few yards in the pool, rode your bike the first mile, got your first job, fell in love for the first time, wrote your first poem. I am the euphoria you had when you found out how to fix a broken radio, play your favorite piece on the piano, worked out the laws of gravity. I am the carefree happiness you know walking with your dog, watching the spring bloom, sharing a meal with your parents, laughing with your friends. I am the choking sadness inside when you stumble, and stray. When you give up because everyone said so. I am the unspoken guilt when you give up your convictions. I am the silent cry when you turn your back on the best in you. I am the sleepless moments when you betray your days.I am the one defeated when you start losing the fire that keeps you alive. I am one who loses when you hesitantly stop to ask yourself, 'What is the point?' or 'Is this all there is to life?' You know me by many names. You have called me an idealist because I believe in the sanctity of your soul. You have called me a dreamer because I believe that you are capable of great things. You have called me rude because I believe love is an honor, and has to be earned. Not a gift or alms to be given away indiscriminately to everyone you live with, work with or meet. You have called me arrogant because I believe in what I know. You want me to stop behaving as if I knew everything. You forget that I never wanted to know everything. You mistake my faith in you for expectations. You say you will never be able to live up to them. But in my belief you hope to find your proof. You find it easy to hate me than to be who you are. You walk down the easy road, and then wonder why you are not as happy as you thought you would be. Who are you running away from? Me or yourself? Don't you see you are not running away from me. You are just turning away from the highest, and the best within. Don't you see you are not betraying me; you are betraying your own soul. It won't be easy. But I know you will return. I will wait. Endlessly.

No comments: